Fort Condor is a new minigame in the Yuffie Intermission DLC of Final Fantasy VII Remake. There are 7 Fort Condor Opponents in total. Becoming the Fort Condor grandmaster unlocks the Game, Set, Master trophy. Becoming the Fort Condor Grandmaster on hard will unlock the Condor Queen trophy. You will also unlock the Grandmaster board for purchase, which is the best in the game.
- Unlocking Fort Condor Minigame
- Fort Condor Strategies & Tips
- Fort Condor Difficulty Settings
- Fort Condor Cards & Boards Locations
- Fort Condor Opponents (Easy / Normal Difficulty)
- Fort Condor Opponents (Hard Difficulty)
This is unlocked automatically in Chapter 1 of the Yuffie Intermission DLC. The story will make you talk to a boy called Polk in the Avalanche’s Base (can’t miss it). He will give you the Fort Condor starter board and plays a tutorial match with you. See the image location below.
After this, three level 1 players will be marked on the map automatically with a purple number “1” icon. There are 3x level 1 players / 2x level 2 players / 1x level 3 player / 1x level 4 grandmaster.
You have to beat all players of one level before the next level players get marked on the map. They are all in the “Residential Area” district of the map, the area outside Avalanche’s Base where you met Polk.
The single most important thing to understand is what unit is strong/weak against other units:
- Red (Vanguard) units are effective against Green (Ranged)
- Green (Ranged) units are effective against Blue (Defense)
- Blue (Defense) units are effective against Red (Vanguard)
Always let your enemy do the first summon. Then counter his unit with one of yours that has the advantage. Therefore, the opponent’s first unit is easily defeated.
Stick with this tactic throughout the match, watch what your opponent is playing and always play a card that counters theirs. Thereby you will keep the upper hand.
Each player has 3 bases (1 headquarters, 2 outposts). The units advance automatically towards the enemy base. If you break through the opponent’s units, you will advance to the outposts and your units automatically attack them. The goal is to destroy all 3 bases or have more bases than the opponent when the timer runs out (3 minutes per match).
Each opponent you defeat also gives you coins that can be traded with “Old Snapper” (Turtle Man) for new unit cards and now boards. The minigame isn’t too hard, as long as you remember what class is strong/weak against the others it’s just a matter of countering with the correct classes.
Before the match you can see what board and units your opponent will be using. If their deck is vastly one-sided towards Vanguard, Ranged, or Defense, then put some more cards in your deck that counter these. For example, an opponent with 4 Ranged (Green) Units will be easier if you put 4 Vanguard (Red) units in your deck. But keep in mind some units cannot attack air units! Only put units in your deck that can attack both the ground and air.
The best cards to get are the Barracks / Facility units. You play this one unit for 5ATB and it keeps manufacturing an endless supply of units for free until the Barracks / Facility is destroyed. These become available later on. For Level 1-2 the starter cards will do. For Level 3-4 you should put some higher-cost ATB cards in your deck and switch to the Assassin I Board, which has faster ATB recharge.
The best board is technically the Grandmaster board, but you won’t have that until you beat the Level 4 opponent. Until then the Assassin I Board is a fine choice, it has a good number of units, faster ATB recharge, stronger bases than the starter deck, and easy to use Materia.
This brings us to the last point – Materia. You can use Materia Spells during matches. The available Materia cannot be changed and is bound to what Board you’re using. There are some support spells and some attack spells. Make good use of these in each match, it can often turn the tide of combat in your favor!
An easy strategy for hard difficulty is to put Grenadier Barracks in one gap, put shock trooper on the other side and let it get to the outpost, then put Guard Dog in the middle and he should go straight for the headquarters. Use your attack materia on the headquarters. On hard you need to play more aggressively and should focus only on destroying the headquarters.
What difficulty setting you are playing on will affect the health and attack of enemy units.
- Easy: Enemies have reduced health & attack –> it’s recommended for your first playthrough, especially for the grandmaster match. If you have trouble, play on easy and you can beat everyone without much tactic.
- Normal: Enemies have the same health & attack as your units
- Hard: On Hard mode, opponents will use modified boards that give them more of an advantage, and victory conditions will also be more difficult to meet. On Hard mode, you only win if you destroy the opponent’s headquarters; any outposts destroyed don’t count. Sudden Death will also be limited to 1 minute and if you do not destroy the opponent’s headquarters in that time, you will lose the match. Beating Hard Mode players will reward you with Manuscripts to upgrade your weapons and unlock new skills.
- Purchasable Fort Condor Cards & Boards: After beating Fort Condor players new Cards and Boards will become available gradually at the Happy Turtle merchant. You get condor coins from each defeated opponent (can get more in next playthrough). Below is the full list of purchasable ones after having beaten all opponents.
- Battalion Board I
- Assassin Board I
- Sorcerer Board II
- Battalion Board II
- Assassin Board II
- Battalion Board III
- Grandmaster Board
- Shock Trooper (Vanguard)
- Cutter (Vanguard)
- Elite Shock Trooper (Ranged)
- Sentry Ray (Ranged)
- Slug-Ray Facility (Ranged)
- Helicopter (Defense)
- Sentry Gun (Defense)
- Sledgeworm (Defense)
- Monodrive (Ranged) – Chapter 1 – Area: Abandoned Talagger Factory – In the northernmost room of the Factory area, destroy the wooden crates to reveal a yellow pod.
- Sweeper (Ranged) – Area: Ward 3 – Objective: Tracking Zhijie – After sliding down a pole into a factory, it’s at the end of the factory. Before interacting with a 2nd pole.
- Assassin Board III – Area: Ward 2 – Objective: Main Pillar Maintenance – In plain sight, in a yellow pod, no way to not see it.
This shows the locations of all 7 Opponents and the deck I used (defeated all of them first try). If you lose you can rematch them as often as you want. They are all available from the beginning, all can be done right away during Chapter 1.
Fort Condor Player #1 (Level 1): Kyrie
Fort Condor Player #2 (Level 1): Johnny
Fort Condor Player #3 (Level 1): Shinra Middle Manager
Fort Condor Player #4 (Level 2): Jessie
Fort Condor Player #5 (Level 2): Roche
Fort Condor Player #6 (Level 3): Wedge
Fort Condor Player #7 (Level 4): Chadley – Grandmaster
Before you play against Chadley, buy the Barracks / Factory cards and Assassin Board I from Old Snapper (Turtle Man Vendor), he’s just in front of the Avalanche’s Base. He’s the guy dancing with a sign and gives you the quest for finding all Turtle Flyers. If you are having trouble, switch to easy difficulty for this match! The enemy units have reduced health & attack on easy difficulty, making this significantly easier (especially on your first playthrough). The full match can be found in the video walkthrough embedded at the top of this page (last opponent in video).
After defeating Chadley, you become the new Grandmaster and unlock the trophy Game, Set, Master. You also unlock the Grandmaster Board for purchase at Old Snapper and gain an AP Up Materia. After beating the Yuffie DLC on any difficulty (either easy or normal), you unlock hard difficulty. Replaying Chapter 1 and becoming the Fort Condor Grandmaster on hard will unlock the Condor Queen trophy.
Here’s a video of all opponents on hard:
After beating the Yuffie Intermission DLC for the first time (2 Chapters), you will unlock hard difficulty. Go to System > Chapter Selection > select Chapter 1 to replay it. After you meet Polk, the boy who plays the tutorial match with you, there will now be Rank 5 Opponents on the map. They are the same people as before but are now Rank 5 instead of Rank 1. On hard you should use only the Grandmaster board and always have barracks / facility units in your deck.
General Strategy (works for Grandmaster and other opponents): Put Grenadier Barracks in one gap, put shock trooper on the other side and let it get to the outpost, then put Guard Dog in the middle and he should go straight for the headquarters. Use your attack materia on the headquarters. On hard you need to play more aggressively and should focus only on destroying the headquarters.
Below are the decks I used for each opponent in hard mode:
Fort Condor Player #1 (Level 5): Kyrie
Fort Condor Player #2 (Level 5): Johnny
Fort Condor Player #3 (Level 5): Shinra Middle Manager
Fort Condor Player #4 (Level 5): Jessie
Fort Condor Player #5 (Level 5): Roche
Fort Condor Player #6 (Level 5): Wedge
Fort Condor Player #7 (Grandmaster): Chadley
Put Grenadier Barracks in one gap, put shock trooper on the other side and let it get to the outpost, then put Guard Dog in the middle and he should go straight for the headquarters. Use your attack materia on the headquarters.
After you defeat Chadley on hard you earn the Condor Queen trophy.