Ni No Kuni 2 has 60 Tainted Monsters. This guide shows all their locations. For the”Scourge of the Tainted” trophy / achievement you must kill 50 of the Tainted Monsters.
Tainted Monster #51-60 only spawn after the first 50 have been defeated.
None of them are missable! You can still defeat them all after the story in free-roam. To check which ones you have defeated go to Library > Tainted Monsters. There it shows the rewards and monster levels. Killing these monsters gives a ton of XP and money and some of the best rewards in the game. Certain items cannot be obtained anywhere else, just from high-ranking Tainted Monsters. They are the most powerful creatures in the game so you should be at least on their level or a few levels above.
Many tainted monsters are tied to side quests. It is therefore paramount that you complete all the Side Quests (which you must do anyway to recruit all citizens and fully upgrade your castle). If you can’t find an area, check the world map (links below):
Tainted Monsters Strategies
- Always bring plenty of healing items and Angel’s Tears (later Savior’s Tears) to revive your team. You can buy them at the general store in Evermore.
- Also cook up some meals in Evermore and consume them before fighting the monsters. My favorite is the 5-star “Rosehip Tart” (an endgame item) that makes charged attacks build up more quickly (the 100% counter under your weapons).
- When a weapon is at 100% your normal magical attacks turn into stun moves. Always attack a monster until a weapon reaches 100%. Then do a stun move, while the monsters is down, attack it to charge the next weapon to 100% and when the monster gets up stun it again. This way you can stun monsters for long durations. The best stun moves are: Roland’s Flatliner, Roland’s Heavy Ammo, Bracken’s Pyre Pillar, Leander’s Gorgon Needle.
- Higgledies (matters mainly for the Tainted Monsters 40-60) – my favorites are: Phantasmagoria the Foul, Boss-Woss the Bruiser, Ubgub the Enlightened, Popple the Pure. The higgledies that have the ability “Higgledy Sirrah: A noble higgledy knight is summoned to join you in battle for a short period” are the best.
Tainted Monsters List
- 01: Googah – Wiggly Way
- 02: Prangles – Spineshiver Grove
- 03: Magmanimus – Shipshire Cape
- 04: Clangston – Heartlands
- 05: Martimer – Tightfit Cavern
- 06: Mystral – Sundown Woods
- 07: Stormigan – Looksee Cave
- 08: Conflagra – Sundown Coast
- 09: Whammity – Dugout
- 10: Quilla – Starboard Isle
- 11: Lily – Shallow Shoals
- 12: Yvan – Shallow Shoals
- 13: Puddley – Shrine of Pining
- 14: Fanger – Jack Frost’s Playground
- 15: Scintilla – Capaneus’s Crypt
- 16: Grimwit – Upheer Plain
- 17: Gimpopo – Makronos
- 18: Abnorma – Eert Grove
- 19: Florette – Fathomless Forest
- 20: Twinky – Unsung Shrine –> Must use Rejuvenate Spell on the Ruins to rebuild the Shrine. Then the monster is found inside. You must research this spell at the Evermore Spellworks first.
- 21: Madusa – Larboard Isle
- 22: Boarcher – Runaway Cave
- 23: Gaialith – Jack Frost’s Playground
- 24: Dampo – Near Makronos
- 25: Klogg – Drylands
- 26: Powder Keg Cavern
- 27: Skyrch – Near Broadleaf
- 28: Gryndl – Drylands
- 29: Flappy – Greenglade Cave –> Spawns only during Side Quest 082
- 30: Swellhorn – Wiggly Way
- 31: Crysolith – East Wood –> Spawns only during Side Quest 115
- 32: Snotley – Ding Dong Well
- 33: Akheilos – Leucippes’ Labyrinth –> Spawns only during Side Quest 109
- 34: Leolynx – Western Woods
- 35: Tusker – Dampshoe Cave
- 36: Twygg – Wyverns’ Den –> Spawns only during Side Quest 141
- 37: Doombo – Shivery Shrine
- 38: Dahlia – Belly of the Beast –> Fast Travel Point: “To World Map”. It’s marked on the Belly of the Beast Island map (where you fought the Horned One with the army in Chapter 9). Only available after beating the Story, must create a save after the credits and then load it from main menu.
- 39: Grimbaba – Nogo Plateu
- 40: Toxina – Backwaters
- 41: BL-Ammo – Near Broadleaf
- 42: Boarzerker – Tumbledown Shrine
- 43: Charmigan – Sunshade Shrine –> Must use Rejuvenate Spell on the Ruins to rebuild the Shrine. Then the monster is found inside. You must research this spell at the Evermore Spellworks first.
- 44: Sporespew – Shabby Shrine
- 45: Zapple – Ice House
- 46: Snickersnarl –> Spawns only during Side Quest 170
- 47: Sindulata – Drylands
- 48: Starless Knight – Bleachbone Shrine
- 49: Ziggy – Jack Frost’s Playground –> Spawns only during Side Quest 149
- 50: Storme – Farflung Cape
- 51: Lymina – Eventide Trail (must have deafeted the first 50 Tainted Monsters)
- 52: Jellena – Briney Shrine (must have deafeted the first 50 Tainted Monsters)
- 53: Porcopalypto – Plainview Plateu (must have deafeted the first 50 Tainted Monsters)
- 54: Seat of the Sea Beast –> Fast Travel Point: Leucippes’ Labyrinth (it’s in the cave on the purple island in bottom right corner of the map, must have defeated the first 50 Tainted Monsters)
- 55: Floode – Cloudcoil Canyon (must have deafeted the first 50 Tainted Monsters)
- 56: BL-Yte – Factory Floors (must have deafeted the first 50 Tainted Monsters)
- 57: Horraura – Old Well (must have deafeted the first 50 Tainted Monsters)
- 58: Elkwhisker – Nogo Plateau (must have deafeted the first 50 Tainted Monsters)
- 59: Mangala – Shrine of Unity (must have deafeted the first 50 Tainted Monsters)
- 60: Humphrey – Forest of Niall (must have deafeted the first 50 Tainted Monsters)
The last 10 monsters are by far the hardest. An easy way to rank up is to replay the final story boss, it gives half a level up each time. Just lock on to the boss and then hammer him with quick attacks for a few minutes. You can even watch some TV or do other things at the same time. After the story and all side quests are done you will be roughly level 70. I grinded to level 95 by replaying the last boss for 6 hours and the remaining monsters were very easy then.
Killing the last 10 Tainted Monsters is also good preparation for the 10th Dreamer’s Door Maze (which has a level 95 boss).
For more Ni No Kuni 2 guides, check out the full Ni No Kuni 2 Wiki.